trying to get off methadone

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Re: trying to get off methadone

Postby warondrugsiswaronme » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Not a 12 stepper wrote:warondrugsiswaronme,

Hello, and welcome to subsux.

I can help you taper your methadone dose, but it's going to take time.

If your street connection is solid, and you get the same type of methadone every time, I can walk you through what your gonna have to do, to keep the suffering to a minimum.

My first question, is about what type of methadone you've been getting. Liquid, or pills?

If it's pills, what type of pills are they? Do you always get the same type of pills?

The reason I ask, is because I've found that methadone varies a lot between manufacturers.

I'm glad you joined the forum, before you switched over to sub. Hopefully, you'll be able to taper off methadone, and won't ever have to battle with sub.

Just wondering if you have a shorter name, or nickname we can call you- :D

-mark

hi mark,

thank you for your response. and i am sorry it took so long for me to come back. it's because i really think there is no hope and all i can do is suffer through it. if i keep going this way it will take forever for me to get off.

i am taking pills.. they are 10mg pills.. always the same.. very reliable source. METHADONE HYDROCHORIDE Tablets USP 10mg Roxane Laboratories".

it took me 6 years to get down to this dose. at one point, when i was in a clinic taking the orange biscuits, i was at 180mg. this dose was too high for me, but i did it to save some for my boyfriend who had been kicked out of the clinic. but half the time i had to swallow all of it if someone said something to me on the way out - i would be forced to swallow the dose. after he got his act together, i got my dose down to 90mg. the time frame is hard to day.

anyway, about a year ago, i was at 50mg. if i remember correctly, the last couple i have been tinkering down at about 20mg a year. the process went faster when i was at a higher dose.

a lot of times i am withdrawing by the time i'm ready for bed.. and it's hard to sleep when this happens obviously. other times i am fine even when i wake up the next morning. it varies so much.. i've even noticed that i withdraw heavily at certain times during the month.. but i think that's a woman thing since it falls around my cycle.

thank you for any help,
Beth
warondrugsiswaronme

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Beth, good to see you post a reply-

Don't give up hope. But please, don't expect detoxing methadone to happen quickly. It's a long drawn out process, but SO worth it in the long run...

The 10mg Roxane pills are the best methadone available IMHO, and also the easiest to taper off of.

If fact, since you have a steady supply of the Roxane methadone pills for pain, your really better off than someone that's on a clinic. Simply because you can micro manage your own taper, to reduce suffering, where many clinics require paperwork, and a doctor's OK to vary your taper schedule in the slightest, and will then usually try to convince you to go back up to your original dose.

What is your current dose anyway? Are you still at 30mg per day?

I got one more question for you...

Do you take your dose at the same time every day?

If your starting to get sick at bedtime, try splitting your daily dose. Take half your current daily dose every 12 hours.

I know detoxing is tough, especially once you get down to 20mg, and below. But it CAN be done without suffering through acute withdrawal.

Again, welcome back, and I hope you start posting more often.

-mark
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Sub zero » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not sure if this applies here...but after three years of using I jumped off methadone at 60mgs. To give an idea of how bad the methadone WD's became, I happily dug out a bottle of old Subs I had saved and used those to put some distance between myself and my last dose of methadone. Now...you know you got it bad when Suboxone is the lesser of two evils. Sub sucks...but I don't know of any words to describe what kicking the "done" is like...except SCARY :shock:
If I could go back and do it all over again...I wouldn't

Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10
Sub zero

Postby kygirlie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 pm

30yr old female here, who has been on Methadone for 6yrs finally dosed up to 200mgs and realized that the world around me was falling apart right in front of my eyes...So I sat in bed one day, which had became a normal routine for me, and my 4 young daughters were doing there own thing, and my husband had came home from a 14 hour hard day of work and started laundry and dinner as soon as he had his shower, after feeding our daughters and bathed them and got them into bed he laid in bed and fell fast asleep. As I laid there and watched him sleep, it hit me. Here I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mother why my husband works, and I dont do shit, my husband works his ass off and here I sit, snorting my methadone all day and watch netflix why my daughters take care of themselves...What a loser I have become. So what was my solution? Suboxone...Well, here I went into the program hearing all these miracle that happens while on it, thinking in my head, there is no way in hell my cravings for methadone will ever disappear, well I will say this about two weeks I had become so irratible while on suboxone and had daily headaches, but had zero cravings for any other opiates, didnt even think about them. So fater a month of irrability and headaches, and I was switched to Subutez, and let me say this, if you can start out on subutez then suboxone, please do so. I have been going strong for 3 months, and havent had one slipup. I havent returned to my doctor who was prescribing me methadone, and am doing wonderful on subutex...I wish everyone well:)
kygirlie

Postby sadsack » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:48 am

Like you ive been on both methadone and subutex. and tho i was not on such a high dose (200mgs) as you i was on it for many, many yewars, and like you say it was a bad drug. Between the two you're right, sub is much better. But of course it is much better to not be on any drug. It's all dope. Still I figure if i could get off methadone i can damn well get off the sub. And so can you. I think we all can. Tho it does take some real hard effort.

Life goes by so damn fast, even faster when you're on dope. Hell i just cant believe my own self. Its like i just blinked my eyes and 10 years have past, most all of it spent in some kind of dope fog. No more, right?

Sounds like you have a chance to rejoin your family. Good for you that you have finally woke up. Our families just do not deserve to be abandoned like we do on dope. I believe.

Glad you are awake now. Glad for your hardworking husband and your 4 sweet kids. Good luck.
sadsack

Postby ratch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Getting high or on "Maintenance" drugs (same thing) is like being in that Sandler film "Click" and hitting the fast forward button until you are clean or dead. Only in RL Christopher Walken isnt going to smile and make everything better. As I get older life definitely moves quicker.. But from 1994 to 2005 I barely remember a fucking thing.

I am not an advocate for "sober living" by any means.. but staying clean 99.9% of the time is by far the greatest way to live out your life. Now when I wake up in the morning I remember I actually have a family
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby SoCal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 am

ratch wrote:Getting high or on "Maintenance" drugs (same thing) is like being in that Sandler film "Click" and hitting the fast forward button until you are clean or dead. Only in RL Christopher Walken isnt going to smile and make everything better. As I get older life definitely moves quicker.. But from 1994 to 2005 I barely remember a fucking thing.

I am not an advocate for "sober living" by any means.. but staying clean 99.9% of the time is by far the greatest way to live out your life. Now when I wake up in the morning I remember I actually have a family

You know i really am glad when i read your posts of having beatin a 7year run cause im just a bit past 7yrs on sub and its nice to see its doeable and i might actually have a second chance at life. I wonder about the cravings and when i do i dont think it will be more than i can handle,,but i cant say for sure how i'll feel cause im still on sub,,but honestly,,i feel like,,hey,,im freakin done with all that shit,,its been a long ride and ive done everything there is to do ,,EXCEPT,,just stop and see if i can enjoy life!!just life,,thats all,,maybe go fishin or somethin,,i dont know,,but i sure as hell dont waNT to go backwards and do it all over again,,im too freakin worn out,,and aint got what it takes to do any more time.,
TT
SoCal

Postby pixie_69 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey guys I was reading your stuff you wrote. I was addicted to 5 mili percocet for 3 years I came to the methadone clinic I been there for a year the highest i was on was 45 I am now on 19 mili from detoxing by going down 1 mili a week and I am doing fine. I work out 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hrs a day. I been doing well so far I am very mentally strong to get outta that hell hole long line worthless place I'm not on nothing haven't touched a pill since I had my c section that was 6 months ago. I used to snort pills bad those yes I'm thankful for the clinic but its hell waitin forever sometimes. I'm just hoping when I keep going down I'll be ok. My plan is going to zero and I'm sticking with.it! I reccomend people who wanna get off do it slow like I am be active I'm ok so far and I hope it stays that way. I am just saying its been a journey to get where I am and I'm still going down 1 a week until I am on nothing in plan on just going through it its not the end of the world it will pass just like being sick I'm so proud of myself from where I was to where I am now. I'm verrry head strong. Go down slow 1 mili a week I'm fine everyone can't believe I'm not with drawling on such a low dose like I said I been doing it super slow from 45 to 19 and I go down 1 a week every sat I hope and pray I will not suffer to bad
pixie_69

Previous

Return to Methadone Sux