Side effects after 5.5 years on Subutex

Sub Sucks and if you havent figured that out yet.. please read a few posts

Side effects after 5.5 years on Subutex

Postby JustMe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 am

I have been on subutex now for 5.5 years. I have tapered down from a high of 32mg per day to 8mg per day. I have been on 8mg per day for about a year now. I can't seem to get below that.

Side effects are as follows (none of these were present the day I started sub):

1. I have developed male breasts and not anything small or just from gaining weight (yes I have gained 40 pounds too). It's called gynecomastia. It started about 6 months to a year after I started the sub and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I can't wear a short sleave shirt now, I literally look like a girl. They are huge and just keep getting bigger.

2. Severe dry skin. Not sure what on earth this is about. I just peel away all over.

3. Hypothyrodism off and on. After complaining to my regular doctor about extreme fatigue he tested my thyroid. I was hypo. He put me on pills and they made me go through the roof. I stopped the pills after just 1 day taking them. He tested me again 6 months later and I was normal. 6 months after that I was again hypo. 6 months later I was normal.

4. Severe exhaustion and mood disorder. I have no desire to get out of bed at all. I hate what my life has become and it is 100% due to subutex. My wife does not understand. I have put holes in the wall. I was as laid back and nice a person you would ever meet before I got on this drug.

5. A non STD penile infection. Doctors have no clue what it is. I told them I had never cheated on my wife and we had been together for 15 years. She has never cheated on me and she has no infection or problem herself. They tested me anyway and all STD's came back negative of course. I have been to 2 different doctors and they cannot find out what is going on.

6. Eyesight getting worse by the month. I had 20/13 vision in both my eyes before I started subutex. Now things are blurry. Yes I need to go to the eye doctor but our insurance doesn't cover that.

7. About 60% of my pubic hair is gone, and about 20% of the hair on my chest is gone. The hair on my head is receding slowly but it had started before sub. The pubic hair just recently left in the past 6 months.

8. My body has become like mush. I was 6-2 190 pounds of pure muscle when I started subutex. I'm not bragging just giving facts here to describe side effects. I was a great athlete and ran at least 3 miles a day without hardly breaking a sweat. I don't think I could run half a mile right now. I do not smoke or drink.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. It is very scary the things that are happening to me. I just don't know what to do. When I move from 8mg to 6mg I can't sleep at all. No sleep at all. I can make it a week without any sleep before I go back up to 8mg. This did not start out in my head although it may be in my head some now.

When I initially started tapering, everyone said it would be easy to taper from 16 to 2. So when I tapered from 16 to 10 with ease I thought I was in the clear until 2. Nope. 10 to 8 was not easy. 2-3 hours of sleep a night for a week or 2. Took me several attempts to make it. I have tried to go from 8 to 6 probably 5 times. I even went to 7 for a month. 7 to 6 I could not do. I considered suicide because everyone told me that this was impossible. I'm telling you I was in moderate opiate withdrawal.

I honestly believe the 2-3 years I spent sniffing subutex instead of taking it as described messed me up some how. Because after I had quit sniffing it a year and a half ago, I went down to 16mg for a month, then kept tapering. Maybe I should have stayed on 16 longer. Anyway, it's been so long now since I sniffed it. I am going to try again soon to move from 8 to 6 and I really hope I make it.

I have posted this story many times I don't know why but I feel the need to post it again. Subutex has ruined my life and has definitely taken a huge toll on my wife. I try so hard to have energy to play with our 3 year old daughter. Some days I just cannot do it. She would say that I am a great dad but she is getting about 50% of me and that fuking sucks for her. She does not deserve this shit. Fuck me.
JustMe

Re: Side effects after 5.5 years on Subutex

Postby doperdog » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:06 am

Ummm...I think it's time to get your testosterone, and other hormone, levels checked.
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:14 am

I agree.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby ratch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm

If you cant taper on your own, there are detox facilities that have experience detoxing people from sub using a "step down" approach where they switch you to another opioid and reduce dosages. The procedure typically lasts a month. I suggest you do everything possible to get off the sub asap if you are reacting to it this horribly. Your symptoms are atypical compared to most sub stories I read, but certainly not outside the realm of symptoms we have collaborated over the years. The hormone thing really bothers me, and I would harass your Dr's vigilantly for answers, or in the very least, more tests.
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby celticpride4Life » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:23 pm

doperdog wrote:Ummm...I think it's time to get your testosterone, and other hormone, levels checked.

Definitely THIS

Also my heart sincerely breaks for you. Your story is absolutely insane and if I was you I would switch to short acting opiates for a couple months and then quit the short acting opiates Cold Turkey using Cloindine, Immodium and possibly diazapam. Most probably would not agree with my suggestion but damn! You have to do something. My best wishes and please keep us posted.

~CelticPride
celticpride4Life

Postby mikeyy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Man Im really sorry to hear about this. It does sound like its messing with your testosterone. If I was a doctor which I am far from, the first question I would ask would be if you have ever used steroids. Please don't take that the wrong way because Im not doubting the subs are causing all this. Its just a thought of a possibility. I wish you all the luck on finding out whats going on.
mikeyy

Postby ratch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I just wanted to add..the failing eyesight and the exaustion/mood disorder sound 100% sub related...many people on and after they jump go through those.. But The hair loss, breast, and muscle thing sound like your Testosterone levels are way low. I developed a smoking hot set of "A" cups when I gained about 20 lbs, and most of the hair on my legs fell off when I had to stay on prednisone (steroid) for a long time due to a horrific non-sub related allergy. But when I lost the weight (200 to 179) I am 6'2".. my tits are gone, my legs are still kinda bald.. but I feel a lot better. I think if you are the same body type as me..when you gain weight it ALL goes to my belly and tits.. rest of me stayed the same.. So get your Testosterone/hormone levels checked, lose some weight, and GET OFF SUB and all should be ok in your world. Honestly, Celtic Prides suggestion may not be a bad idea in your case..never heard about these types of symptoms/side-effects from vicodin (hydrocodone)
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby JustMe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:51 am

Thank you for all the responses. I have decided to go to a different doctor and give him the entire list of problems and tell him I want my hormones checked. At least testosterone and thyroid and whatever else he thinks.

I forgot to add that I do take 20mg of valium every night.

Ratch I definitely have gynecomastia that is totally unrelated to my weight. My nipples and a small area around them stick straight out like poles sometimes and sometimes they just sag down. There is hard tissue that has developed under my nipples and going into my breast area.

Heroin, methadone, and valium are 3 medicines known to cause gynecomastia. I assume that sub could be a med that causes it as well since heroin and methadone both cause it. And I also take valium which definitely causes it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gyneco ... ION=causes

mikey I have never tried steroids. I started drinking and smoking weed at 15, cocaine/crack, meth, then opiates and benzos.

I am going to try again soon to move down and if I can't I will check into one of those places Ratch suggests.
JustMe

Postby mikeyy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Holy shit man I hope you are on the right track to finding out wtf is going on. Sounds like a tough time. Hope you get better
mikeyy

Postby megadebt » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 am

There's such a wide range of side effects brought to light by the members here that I highly doubt that they all can be a result of the Suboxone/Subutex. Ya know, just merely being a weak and debilitated drug addict will make one susceptible to a large variety of physical ailments. I think that its possible that many of the 'side effects' spoken about here are not the result of the drug itself, but rather the result of being a 'druggie'. In a weak and unhealthy state you're prone to a whole host of neg things. My heart goes out to all that suffer. But, can all of what's posted above really be side effects associated with the use of Sub?
megadebt

Postby cdub45 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Yes, like the others have said it is most likely low testosterone. I have also experience low testosterone after abusing opiates for 3 years and using suboxone for a year. Opiates do that, it's part of the price we pay. Go to the doctor and get testosterone replacement therapy. I recently had a testosterone shot and I felt GREAT that two weeks. I need to keep taking it but I was scared of doing it because your body will stop making it on your own if you take testosterone replacements, and I'm too young for that. So I just gotta work out more and eat better to try to raise it naturally.

Like you said, you stopped working out. That will also lower your testosterone. Start working out again. And if you can't get out of bed in the mornings and have mood disorders, you are most likely depressed. Go see your GD and get prescribed antidepressants, they do wonders.

And your eyesight? How old are you? most adults will need their vision corrected at around age forty. Its a fact of life. As for your penile infection, well, shit happens. People get infections. People get sick. Don't blame everything on suboxone.
cdub45

Postby jim4760 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:25 am

Fuck me.In all the years I was on bupe I only suffered from erectile dysfunction(well....was difficult to ejaculate),depression and lower back pain.People tried to tell me it wasnt the sub that was causing my back pain but it was as everytime i come off it or lowered it the back pain went away completely.Another thing that people dont talk about much is the liver enzyme side effects.Suboxone gives you higher liver enzyme readings when you have a test done.It also goes away at low doses or no doses.Well.Thats my 2 cents worth.
jim4760

Postby subguy33 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm

I agree with what has been mentioned here already - it would be unlikely that the sub is causing so many side effects and the gynecomastia could be 'true' gynecomastia or 'pseudo' gynecomastia. The first is caused by hormonal problems, so yeah, have your hormone levels (especially testosterone) checked. The latter is caused by simply being overweight (increased fat tissue around the chest/breast area). You mentioned that you felt hard nodules under your nipples so it's probably true gynecomastia (hormonal). But drug side effects can never be ignored so yes, the diazepam could also be the culprit.

Good luck and get well!
http://hkprcg.org/gynexin
Last edited by subguy33 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subguy33

Postby Thor » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 am

JustMe wrote:I have been on subutex now for 5.5 years. I have tapered down from a high of 32mg per day to 8mg per day. I have been on 8mg per day for about a year now. I can't seem to get below that.

Side effects are as follows (none of these were present the day I started sub):

1. I have developed male breasts and not anything small or just from gaining weight (yes I have gained 40 pounds too). It's called gynecomastia. It started about 6 months to a year after I started the sub and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I can't wear a short sleave shirt now, I literally look like a girl. They are huge and just keep getting bigger.

2. Severe dry skin. Not sure what on earth this is about. I just peel away all over.

3. Hypothyrodism off and on. After complaining to my regular doctor about extreme fatigue he tested my thyroid. I was hypo. He put me on pills and they made me go through the roof. I stopped the pills after just 1 day taking them. He tested me again 6 months later and I was normal. 6 months after that I was again hypo. 6 months later I was
normal.

4. Severe exhaustion and mood disorder. I have no desire to get out of bed at all. I hate what my life has become and it is 100% due to subutex. My wife does not understand. I have put holes in the wall. I was as laid back and nice a person you would ever meet before I got on this drug.

5. A non STD penile infection. Doctors have no clue what it is. I told them I had never cheated on my wife and we had been together for 15 years. She has never cheated on me and she has no infection or problem herself. They tested me anyway and all STD's came back negative of course. I have been to 2 different doctors and they cannot find out what is going on.

6. Eyesight getting worse by the month. I had 20/13 vision in both my eyes before I started subutex. Now things are blurry. Yes I need to go to the eye doctor but our insurance doesn't cover that.

7. About 60% of my pubic hair is gone, and about 20% of the hair on my chest is gone. The hair on my head is receding slowly but it had started before sub. The pubic hair just recently left in the past 6 months.

8. My body has become like mush. I was 6-2 190 pounds of pure muscle when I started subutex. I'm not bragging just giving facts here to describe side effects. I was a great athlete and ran at least 3 miles a day without hardly breaking a sweat. I don't think I could run half a mile right now. I do not smoke or drink.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. It is very scary the things that are happening to me. I just don't know what to do. When I move from 8mg to 6mg I can't sleep at all. No sleep at all. I can make it a week without any sleep before I go back up to 8mg. This did not start out in my head although it may be in my head some now.

When I initially started tapering, everyone said it would be easy to taper from 16 to 2. So when I tapered from 16 to 10 with ease I thought I was in the clear until 2. Nope. 10 to 8 was not easy. 2-3 hours of sleep a night for a week or 2. Took me several attempts to make it. I have tried to go from 8 to 6 probably 5 times. I even went to 7 for a month. 7 to 6 I could not do. I considered suicide because everyone told me that this was impossible. I'm telling you I was in moderate opiate withdrawal.

I honestly believe the 2-3 years I spent sniffing subutex instead of taking it as described messed me up some how. Because after I had quit sniffing it a year and a half ago, I went down to 16mg for a month, then kept tapering. Maybe I should have stayed on 16 longer. Anyway, it's been so long now since I sniffed it. I am going to try again soon to move from 8 to 6 and I really hope I make it.

I have posted this story many times I don't know why but I feel the need to post it again. Subutex has ruined my life and has definitely taken a huge toll on my wife. I try so hard to have energy to play with our 3 year old daughter. Some days I just cannot do it. She would say that I am a great dad but she is getting about 50% of me and that fuking sucks for her. She does not deserve this shit. Fuck me.

Dude, we share similarities. 6 years on Subutex. 200 lbs of muscle. I took DHEA while I was on it, to keep Test up. I gained lots of muscle, but did have basically no erectile function.

DHEA helped, but part of it turns Into progesterone. But some converts into test. This is also the case with Test injections, some of converts into female hormones, unless you take an estrogen blocker. Which they sell at vitamin shoppe.

I am with ya bro. Opiates mess with hormones.

I finally decided to get off it. Did it for 21 days then ended up taking .25. I posted a diary.

This stuff really messes with you, and especially hormones. No doubt.

I did not get the Gyno as I am aware. But worked out 5 days a week and took lots of DHEA and other supplements.

If you wanna be a guy, and you can do it, we gotta get off opiates. Especially if you're into body building, and would like to have intercourse with your wife. Sub takes that option away.

The 21 days have been hell. My brain is tweaked from 6 years of sub.
Thor

Return to Sub Sux