Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

Sub Sucks and if you havent figured that out yet.. please read a few posts

Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

Postby giygas37 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:10 am

Hi everyone,
First off, I am new to this forum, so I am sorry if I break any rules or anything like that.

For approx. the past 2 years I have been addicted to opiates. It started off as something occasional, but as you all are probably quite familiar with, it turned into a bad habit pretty quickly. At the "end" I was on about 24mg of hydromorph just to keep myself from withdrawing, when I was actually getting high it was much more than this, and everything I did was IV. That, however, is not why I am posting.

As you probably guessed, after unsuccessfully trying to quit my opiate habit 3-4 times, I decided to go on maintenance treatment. I talked to a suboxone doctor who set me up on 10mg per day (8mg was not enough in the beginning). This actually worked quite well for me for awhile and gave me a chance to get rid of my old habits. For once I felt free from opiates, and I truly feel that I will not relapse. But after being on suboxone for a little more than a month now, I have realized that I am not truly clean. I have no energy, my anxiety has rose to new levels and I am having panic attacks frequently, I have indescribable constipation that I am forced to use enemas for :oops: , and I generally feel in the dumps. I am absolutely sick of these subs, and I am ready to quit.

I have thought it over for about a week, and I talked to my doctor this morning. I know that tapering off is recommended, but honestly, I really feel that going cold turkey is the best option for me at the moment (hear me out). Right now I am in between terms in University, so I have 2 and a half weeks with absolutely nothing to do, so I figured this would be my golden opportunity to quit subs and finally be truly clean. As I said, I ran this idea by my doctor this morning and he said that if this was the way I felt I was going to get clean, then this is the idea he supports. He prescribed me Clonidine, as well as some other muscle relaxant, and something else I am unsure of as of right now (I do not get the script until Monday when I "jump off"). The doctor told me that 2 weeks should be enough to get over the major withdrawal symptoms, but some would probably linger for up to a month.

The main thing that I want to ask everyone here who has experienced the withdrawals first hand is how long I can expect the physical withdrawals to last. Also I would like to know if anyone has any tips on getting through the withdrawals (without tapering). I am not really interested in any advice dealing with tapering schedules and the like, I really just need some help in regards to my situation. Any advice at all would really help, and I would really appreciate it.

I will be taking my last 10mg dose on Sunday April 24th 2011, and I have been on Suboxone for around a month or so. If anyone has any advice, or anything to say at all, please let me know.

P.S. Expect me to post here frequently, I will probably provide daily updates as to how I am feeling so that people can learn from my experience.

Wish me luck! :crazy: :crazy:
giygas37

Re: Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

Postby Sub zero » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 am

Oh No...the taper vs. cold turkey debate is about to fire up again. First off, I quit Suboxone cold turkey at 16+ mgs daily...so it can be done. Incidentally, before that I tried quitting Methadone cold turkey at 60mgs (which I couldn't do...hence my use of Suboxone). The difference between tapering is like slowly wading into a pool of ice cold water (tapering) versus just diving in (cold turkey). I support your decision to go CT...besides, you can always try a taper later if you find that going CT isn't going to work for you. I can guarantee you that either way, youre gonna get the WD's no matter how you go about it. To answer your question, I've found that the acute WD's from Sub last six weeks. Don't freak out now...it isn't like six weeks of full-blown detox from other opioids. It is somewhat milder and fluctuates in intensity. After six weeks, you may have mild on and off symptoms for a few months...but they are tolerable - meaning you can function pretty much normal...even go to school work. At least that's been my experience.
If I could go back and do it all over again...I wouldn't

Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10
Sub zero

Postby xenofears » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 am

Everyone is different. I jumped off 4mg's (only a few days from 8mg's) after 10 years on Sub and was severely fucked up for nearly 9 months. Would tapering have changed that? :shrug:
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby Buckmaster » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I dont know which is better because i havent got there yet but im doing the taper method simply because i dont have the time to take off for a few weeks or so to go CT.Now i can tell you tapering down will be a bit trying at times but just remember that everytime you drop a few mgs and you get stable at that dose,it means you are getting better,healthier and more confident. I keep telling myself that when i feel withdrawls,its my body healing.
Buckmaster

Postby celticpride4Life » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:28 am

With the 2 weeks you have I would just step off and use the clonidine. IMO you are going to feel like shit anyways after you get down to 2mgs or so. Just give it a go! I jumped between 4-6 mgs. The intensity was not as bad as short acting opiates but the longevity of the insomnia and lead suit feeling was madness. Everyone is different however and your attitude and perspective will take you along way. Keep us posted. :thumbup:

~CelticPride
celticpride4Life

Postby Sub zero » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 pm

xenofears wrote:Everyone is different. I jumped off 4mg's (only a few days from 8mg's) after 10 years on Sub and was severely fucked up for nearly 9 months. Would tapering have changed that? :shrug:

10 years on Sub Xeno....YIKES :shock:

Sub zero

Postby xenofears » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Sub zero wrote:
xenofears wrote:Everyone is different. I jumped off 4mg's (only a few days from 8mg's) after 10 years on Sub and was severely fucked up for nearly 9 months. Would tapering have changed that? :shrug:

10 years on Sub Xeno....YIKES :shock:

Yep.. I have a crown and all.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby Buckmaster » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey Xeno,how long have you been off subs?
Buckmaster

Postby celticpride4Life » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Buckmaster wrote:Hey Xeno,how long have you been off subs?

Buprenorphine - "God only knows what it'll do to you"; Sub free since 12/27/2009
Klonopin (11 years on): 06/2010 - 8mg, 09/2010 - 3mg, 10/2010 - 1mg [c/t attempt reinstatement], 03/11 - 0.75mg, 03/25 - 0.65mg, 03/29 - 0.60mg, 04/09 - 0.5mg

xenofears

celticpride4Life

Postby ratch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:02 pm

I know people who tapered vigilantly down to .25mg a day for weeks (and lower) and still experienced weeks of wd's followed by months of PAWS. And then some people can jump off at high doses and experience similar results. The biggest factor is TIME on sub and your age.. Shorten that time and chances are you will shorten the wd's. At only a month you may still squeak -by... but to drag a 30 day stint on sub into a 60 or 90 day one by "textbook tapering" is probably doing greater harm than good
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby xenofears » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh yes... the chances of you having a better time from shortening your stay to the chances of having a better time from a long ass taper, you want to get off ASAP with the time you've been on...
xenofears

Postby mikeyy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Yes definitely do it. Your doctor gave you some of the right stuff to help you. Take Imodium and did the doc give you a sleep med? Although I havnt jumped from sub (on 1mg) I have jumped cold turkey from every other opioid including methadone so Im not just blowin smoke. Ive been there. Try to use Xenos and others stories as inspiration. They did it and 3-9 years of sub use is a HUGE difference from one month. Oh also I dont know if I should keep saying this on here but smoking some pot always did wonders for my wd's. I know its not for everyone but Im just letting you know it helps a ton if you it dont have have paranoia or anxiety issues after smoking. If you are in my state you could get it prescribed so im not saying doing anything illegal. :banana: :banana: There is more OTC stuff I didnt mention to help you be more comfortable. IMHO I think you will be okay when its time to go back to class. Maybe not 100% but okay. You got this! Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. ps. you wont feel like it but exercise and if you have access to a sauna jump in there and sweat like a pig
mikeyy

Postby Sub zero » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 am

I don't like to recommend "bad habits" either, but if smoking weed isn't an option, I've found that a stiff shot of Jagermeister helps take the edge off of the early-stage Sub withdrawals. Like everything else though, you can't do it daily though...just once in a while :mrgreen:

Sub zero

Postby giygas37 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. 6 weeks of acute withdrawal sounds scary, but I'm going for it anyways. I took my last dose today just before lunch today as normal (10mg). I guess that means tomorrow will officially be day 1. I will keep you guys posted on how it all goes, unless I am too sick to type lol.

@mikeyy, the doctor didn't give me any kind of sleeping med. Is there anything I can get over the counter to help in that regard? Right now my "withdrawal kit" has: extra strength ibuprofen (Advil), clonidine, Imodium, Gravol, and Gatorade (I heard the Gatorade helps better than water for hydration). So yeah, that is basically all of the stuff I have now, If you guys think I should stock up on anything else please let me know asap!

Thanks again for all of the advice guys. Expect me to be in this thread a lot over the next week or so. I will read up on Xenos story.

P.S. I used to smoke pot pretty frequently, but I recently slowed down. I guess starting that back up again for a little while wouldn't be such a bad idea. I will let you know if it helps. From my past experience with WD, alcohol does not help me at all btw.

Talk to you soon guys!
giygas37

Postby celticpride4Life » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 am

giygas37 wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. 6 weeks of acute withdrawal sounds scary, but I'm going for it anyways. I took my last dose today just before lunch today as normal (10mg). I guess that means tomorrow will officially be day 1. I will keep you guys posted on how it all goes, unless I am too sick to type lol.

@mikeyy, the doctor didn't give me any kind of sleeping med. Is there anything I can get over the counter to help in that regard? Right now my "withdrawal kit" has: extra strength ibuprofen (Advil), clonidine, Imodium, Gravol, and Gatorade (I heard the Gatorade helps better than water for hydration). So yeah, that is basically all of the stuff I have now, If you guys think I should stock up on anything else please let me know asap!

Thanks again for all of the advice guys. Expect me to be in this thread a lot over the next week or so. I will read up on Xenos story.

P.S. I used to smoke pot pretty frequently, but I recently slowed down. I guess starting that back up again for a little while wouldn't be such a bad idea. I will let you know if it helps. From my past experience with WD, alcohol does not help me at all btw.

Talk to you soon guys!

Damn dood! You have got a nice detox kit lol! I would not expect to be too sick for the first couple days. And I doubt you will ever be too sick to type. You got this my friend and I look forward to your progress. In all honesty sleep will be a joke and I have NEVER found anything that helped me with that and I have been through all the sleep aids. Sleep will come when it comes. Please keep this thread going and get this damn thing done, we are pulling for you!

Alcohol makes WD's worse for me as well BTW. A little weed might be nice to relax. I bet your anxiety drops when you get off the sub, mine did bug time. Again Good Luck!
celticpride4Life

Postby mariposa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

I think because you've only been on for a little over a month, you can do it. You're in a VERY different situation from people who stayed on the drug for years. Your body gets very used to the stuff. Don't let that be you! Then quitting will be a nightmare. Escape while you still can.

Remember, sub has a very long half life, and you have a lot 'stacked' up in your system. You won't even start to feel the jump for several days / a week.
mariposa

Postby giygas37 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey guys,

Day 1 is pretty much over and I haven't felt any WD symptoms yet. I kinda guessed this would be the case with the long half life. Anyways, I will let you know how things turn out tomorrow.

@celtic, I hope you are right about the anxiety thing!

Thanks for the support everyone, I'll keep you updated
giygas37

Postby celticpride4Life » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:45 pm

giygas37 wrote:Hey guys,

Day 1 is pretty much over and I haven't felt any WD symptoms yet. I kinda guessed this would be the case with the long half life. Anyways, I will let you know how things turn out tomorrow.

@celtic, I hope you are right about the anxiety thing!

Thanks for the support everyone, I'll keep you updated

Congrats on day 1 under your belt. I can tell you for me my anxiety was so high on Suboxone it triggered depersonalization/disassociation disorder. After I quit the anxiety and other crap improved dramatically. Thanks for the update.
celticpride4Life

Postby jim4760 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Someone mentioned they come off suboxone after 10yrs but they must be getting their dates mixed up as suboxone wasnt introduced in the u.s.a by Reckitt Bensicker until the end of 2002(october) and even later in european countries.
jim4760

Postby ratch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

I started Buprenex in 1998 but switched to sub around 2004 (was a lot cheaper)
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Next

Return to Sub Sux